10/26/2005

On The Road Again

"If you like what you see, hit me back."
Though I, as a single mother of a toddler (whom I'm largely leaving out of this blog,) am often computer-accessible on a Saturday night - post tuck-in - the guys I want to meet are often not.
***
I noticed that if I don't do something quick, I might never meet another man...so I decided to take action and posted some adds on Craig's List.

Why Craig's List? (They ask.) It doesn't feel as demoralizing as something like match.com because 1) I don't have to put my picture up for the world's perusal and 2) I can't write anything I want to without their supervisors editing the personality out of me. 3) I can post as often as I'd like, as differently as I'd like, and decimate them whenever I'd like to. Nobody can see who I am, no complications, no worries. 4) Posting on Craig's List has a casual feeling to it, not all oozing with desperation, like "I wanna meet me soulmate." It feels like the alternative dating website, where people who think match.com is degrading go. And believe me, the more sophisticated men out there won't go on match.com.

By the way, once I tried The Onion's dating service....I had a "supremely irritating" experience....I spent generous portion of time answering their little-dittie-questions as creatively I could, and then they'd publish 3 of my 20 anwers....then I logged-on as a male friend and it was even worse - when I looked at my profile, they had posted only one answer - to the dumbest question possible, like, "What's your favorite color?"....So not only did I not get responses, but a handful of Chicagoland men have seen my photo posted next to that one stupid question and answer, making it appear that it was the only question I had the capacity to answer. Never again!

In contrast to The Onion's experience, the sheer bounty of responses on CL was breath-taking. Fun, fun, fun! However, I didn't sense that anything would pan out from my Saturday night post, (never post on a Saturday night unless you want sex...frankly that isn't my scene...) so I tried again a few days later. I figured out that you should never post on weekends, cause only introverts or perverts reply on weekends...the rest of the world is out doing something more constructive. Those are the guys I want to meet.

This is Posting Number Two, an improved version of #1, which I erased:

Sexy Little Clown of a Mom - 32
Reply to: anon-105055753@craigslist.org
Date: 2005-10-18, 6:40PM CDT

Here we go again…Rolling those dice.

"Wonderful little terror” addicted to thoughts, commas, and people brighter than myself. I enjoy writing/notes/postcards/color copies/costume sketches/set models, vintage dresses/heels and excuses to wear them, spring, funny and bold people, trader joe's (great store), latin dancing (I’m good,) driving (sorry I didn’t mean to cut you off), sunshine, new ethnic recipes, rebellious yet charming people, unpredictable behavior. On that note, I scorn Evangelicals, whiney rich people, Republicans, rock songs with whiney male singers, Evangelical Rock, gay guys who act bitchy, restaurant chains, mealy apples, Furry Boots, Travel Tours, Agendas, Big Organizations, golfers, the Wiggles, people who can laugh on command, people who don't say thank-you, Capricorns, people who try to apply logic to me, people who don't love me, people who think I'm neurotic. I have a small son and he’s pretty fucking awesome.

I usually max-out my Chicago Public Library card.

I’ve lived in Central America. I’m bilingual in Spanish and if you speak another language I respect that a lot.

I believe in making friends. Anything that happens should develop naturally. Chemistry is boss. And you can’t know if it’s around via email. (And it seems incredibly rude to me to ask a man who doesn’t even know me to pay for a meal.)

I like to accrue new experiences and once I know you well there is very little that I’ll refuse to try. (I think THIS must be the line that has made responses pour in.)

I’m an “exotic white girl” with mischievous dark eyes. I tend to date ethnic. I’m 32 and still holding it way together physically. (However I don't plan on posting a photo for all of Chicagoland to see.) Of course I will send you a pic if I think we’ll click. I hope you're a handsome guy and you are in shape, but not egomaniacal. Though treadmills remind you of hamster balls. Going nowhere fast! (I'm going to go ahead and be superficial and say that I don't go for chubby guys. I’m in shape and expect the same from a man.)

You must be a gentleman, 29 or above, extremely open-minded, and a complete humanist. You’re the guy who helps old ladies across the street with their groceries. Yet you’re also an adventurer. You’re up for growth.

No "hook-ups".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home