1/10/2006

I Am Haunted by Leather Jackets

They follow me around - I seem to attract them the way I attract terrifying little rodents. And I hate them. I hate leather jackets. They're just trying way too hard.
***



Ironically after my little discourse on salsa, my first (and only, so far) "mini-date" from this roll was with the lead singer of a local salsa band. I'll call him Gabriel Cruz.

1) He sent me a really nice note along with a photo of himself performing in jazz fest. (Itty bitty photo half-absconded.)
2) He didn't even ask for a photo of me - this is very classy, in my opinion. Even though I apparently am not classy b/c I feel that I need a photo. In fact, this whole blog is really not classy! Update: I just realized that if a guy doesn't ask for your photo, it means one of 2 things: 1) He's not superficial, but he's new to internet dating - experienced people find a polite way to ask for/send multiple photos. Though this can be quite awkward, and I usually desist. 2) He doesn't expect much. Not asking for a photo of you could mean there's a surprise in store for you.
3) We spoke by phone and he seemed "nice". (Nice in me-speak means "lacking mojo".) I need a man with some mojo. This is rather hard to find. I have found one but he is on a trip to the moon right now, so until he comes back, I'll keep rollin'. However half-heartedly.
4) Though I didn't sense any particular connection, we made a coffee date anyway. I thought it would be interesting, and a good distraction from certain disappointments that are currently on the table. Gabriel had suggested that we take a dance lesson together to brush up at some point, and I was kind of excited...I thought it sounded kind of glamorous to take a class with the lead singer of a band before his performance. I knew he didn't have the mojo I desired via phone, but I still started building those Aries castles in the sky of how inetresting and fun this could be. Rule # 3490: Do NOT build castles in the sky. Have I said that already?

When I got to the cafe, he was outside. My heart sank, cause he was wearing a black leather jacket. I think leather jackets are overcompensatory and sleazy-looking. A motorcycle jacket I could tolerate, but this whole sleazoid black leather look really repels me. Alright, any kind of leather. You might look fine and dandy, but don the leather and it will repel me like an invisible shield. As you can tell, my aversion is quite powerful.

Gabriel was also clinging to his cell phone for dear life - I suspected a faux conversation - but that's just me and my overly-creative mind (otherwise known as an intense sense of perception.) I'm not into cell-phone heavy guys. I think it makes guys look cloying and insecure - lacking independence. I see a guy heavy on the cell and I run the other direction. I think cell phones have practical uses, but are obnoxious. I like a man who can stand on his own, without a cell phone.

Also I was kind of expecting him to look a little sexier. In the photo, he looked rather fine. In real life, he looked OK. More soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home