11/25/2005

Bo, The Sleuth.

Could you have imagined that there would be a bitter Polish dude hiding under this upbeat-looking latino?

***

BO wrote:

1) Pasta with red meat sauce (please, not Ragu); I'm allergic to shrimp so beef would be better; tomato/cucumber salad w/onions, garlic, oil/vinegar dressing; tiramisu. I would prefer red wine over beer. 2) The foot in the pic indicates that you (if it is indeed your foot) have a dominant personality, the second toe is longer than the big one. 3) Send me your pic if mine is to your liking. But do hurry because I'm beginning to get hunger pangs.

Bo

NATHALIE responded with the form letter:

Hi. Thank you very much for offering to help me with my lamp. I'm writing this message because yours was thoughtful and appealing in some way, howeverI had to do major narrowing and had to choose those who seem to have somereally unexpected commonalities with me. Thank you, though, for writing. Nathalie

BO wrote:

Since you thought my email was so appealing, I thought I'd ask you for your opinion on a few things. More on that later. First, out of curiosity, howmany guys responded to your email?

NATHALIE wrote:

apx 100.

BO wrote:

You got approximately 100 emails. That's about how many emails I received in 15 minutes after pretending I was a woman posting an ad I created with apicture I borrowed of a beautiful blonde woman. I would've received more had I not deleted the ad right away.

It amazed me how boring and predictable the responses were. They, in essence had the same thing to say: I'm insecure and weak, but I think you should like me anyway because I'm areally great ass kisser. How did you ever narrow down the emails you received? Choosing an email that stood out was an impossible task.

Moreover, what did you find so appealing about my email that you had to write back?

Here is the bogus ad I put up:

Subject line: "Hot for Teacher"

I'm a fun-loving 6th grade teacher who would like to have more interaction with adults...lol. I consider myself easy going and open-minded. I enjoy good food, good conversation, and good company. I'm looking for a man that can make me laugh, take me out, and show me a good time. I'm not overly concerned with finding Mr. Right as I am with meeting new people and havingFUN!!! That is what I consider the spice of life. Do you have the same theory? IF so, drop me a line and let me know. Appearance: 5'6", average body type; blue eyes; blonde hair; belly button ring. Interests: I enjoy hangin out with my friends. I like to spend time at thebeach or doing anything outdoors. My favorite pastimes are reading, tennis,cooking, and road trips. I've always wanted to go to Hawaii but have neverbeen. Recently I visited NYC and had an amazing time. What an amazing city!!! I love sushi and pizza. I just can't get enough. My favorite showright now is Desperate Housewives. I'm looking for a man I can cook a nice dinner for, cuddle up and watch movies with. My two favorite movies are Something about Mary and Love Actually.

NATHALIE wrote:

Hey Mr. Sleuth - That's very interesting! Thanks for sharing the results of the experiment.I actually send a "thank you" note back to any guy who writes a decent note to me. I figure it's the least I could do, if he offers to fix my lamp. You can take it that he wants to get laid - I honestly want my lamp assembled, and not planning to get laid. Maybe that's unrealistic thinking on my part, in terms of what the men expect from the ad, as the picture of my foot seemed to really entice them. Anyway, the note is a little courtesy which seems to be generally very appreciated.

This whole thing is a little experiment of my own we could say. Your initial message I really didn't like, though I didn't find the man in it unattractive, if that was indeed you. It was a little suspicious - a Latino in a Latin disco along with the writing voice was a bit incongruent, and the beer toast looked rather silly. (Probrably intentionally?) It seems in retrospect that you made the message intentionally obnoxious for the experiment. I found the message irritating and demanding. I didn't put any"demanding types" in the yes folder. I figured, if I'm polite enough to offer that superb dinner, he should be polite enough to accept as is. No, "I want vegetable lasagna." I'm allergic, etc. You've gotta be kidding.

As far as responses, the more flavorless the add is, the less witty the responses will be. Your add was intentionally banal, so you got form responses. Try writing a witty ad and see what happens, if you're that interested.

I enjoy many of the responses, and am interesting in meeting people who wrote interesting responses, whether or not they fix the lamp, or become a friend or a potential dinner/event date. Many of the responses are dull. For example, if a guy lists his stats, I'll feel that he's dull. "I'm this, I'm that"

As far as my toe goes, I didn't know about that rule. You can figure out for yourself if your theories are correct based on my writing style. At this point, you are likely suspecting if i am a man like yourself, performing the same experiment. You are probrably interested in a pic.

BO wrote:

Please do send a pic. Why would a Latino man in a Latin disco (btw, it wasa Polish disco, not Latin) be incongruent with my writing style? And yes,that is a very recent picture of me.

NATHALIE wrote:

I don't know exactly why I say incongruent. It looks like a laid-back person but the message was very demanding. Why do you want the pic? You have yet to give me impetus to send my pic. These are the questions that i ask myself before i send it: 1) Does this person's writing make me feel generally good and respected? 2) Is this a person with who I might connect and possibly meet? You have yet to convince me of either. So why would I send the pic?

BO wrote:

Hmmmmm...I see...I suppose it's your turn to be irritating and demanding? Let me quote what you wrote earlier, "Your initial message I really didn't like, though I didn't find the man in it unattractive, if that was indeed you." If I extended the courtesy of sending you my pic., it would follow that you would extend the same courtesy to me so I can see if I won't find the woman in it unattractive. I can make you feel good/respected all you like, but all of it would be for naught if I end up not liking what I see. Looks are a very important part of connecting. If you send me a picture fine. If you don't, good luck with whatever it is that you're searching for.

Bo

***

I never did send Bo a pic. Rule #6540: If you want a pic, you must make me want to give you a pic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home