11/09/2005

Date #4...Breakfast with Andrejs, Chemistry Ground Zero

Every so often, I'm sure that my blind little "meetings" will be miserable experiences, just like the following one. That's why I prefer to meet quickly (no extended emailing) and in a small time slot (so as not to get stuck.) But in this case you will see how I accidentally signed on to a way-too-long breakfast at The Songo Room. It will also be proven that email does not gage a person effectively.

How breakfast came about in response to my first add, Sexy Little Clown:

ANDREJS wrote:

Hello, Yeah, I dislike that whole furry boot thing as well. I'm 34 and have brown eyes. I'm a big sucker for brown eyes as well. I'm a musician and own a recording studio. I prefer to create things rather than sit in clubs and stare. On that note, I don't drink or smoke, but am not pretentious enough to mind others' bad habits. I'm trying to pay attention to my punctuation right now and am thinking its ok. Though I did notice that I'm starting a lot of sentences with "I'm".

Ar to, es ceru ka tu esi neticama skaista un esi mans sapnu putnins.

Andrejs

GreenClosetStudio

NATHALIE wrote:

Hi Andrejs,

Is that your real name? So, you are I'm guessing Polish...? Set me straight.

Thank you for writing. You sound interesting. Maybe you'll send me a pic.

Nathalie

ANDREJS wrote:

It's Latvian, pretty close geographically wise. You can check out some pictures on my band website. Some of them are a little raw, beard and all. I've shaved since and don't smell as bad as I look. I'm actually pretty handsome. www.busboybandcom

Andrejs

GreenClosetStudio

ANDREJS wrote again:

I see that you posted another ad. I thought you found me interesting. You really can't get to know anyone over the internet. Plus, like I said, my pics really suck. I don't glam up like supermodels do and take pictures of myself. So what do you do? Are you into the arts? What's a taco stop? And, what about five star restaurants or is four your limit? There's a Brazilian place I'd like to check out.

Andrejs

GreenClosetStudio

NATHALIE wrote:

Hi Andrejs,

I did find you interesting. It's good to be agressive like this, so you can get a woman's attention. I looked at your website. The photo of you is really non-descript. But that's ok. What do I do? I thought Europeans don't ask that question. I'm not sure that I've been to a 5-star restaurant. I've been to 4. How about you? What's the name of the Brazilian place? I think it's a good idea to meet before signing on to a dinner. If I go to dinner, I have to make arrangements for my son, so I need to know that it's worth it. (i.e., that I'm going to have a nice time and it won't be stressful.) I can get off the red line or blue line to meet briefly. Thoughts?

Nathalie

ANDREJS wrote:

That sounds like a very practical idea. I live right by the Holy Name Cathedral, which is the Chicago stop on the red line. We could meet there and go to church, or for cheese fries at the corner hot dog stand. Sorry, no nearby taco stops. The name of the restaurant is called Sal & Carvao. I've never been there, but when I was in Brazil I went to a Brazilian Churrasco and it's a pretty interesting experience. You are correct, Europeans don't ask that question. My apologies, just that I'm only interested in super-magical and intelligent women. I'm self employed, so my schedule is pretty flexible. Let me know what day and time you'd like to meet for cheese fries. I'll bring a picture with so you can see what I look like more descriptively.

Andrejs

NATHALIE responded (it had been a long day):

Hi Andrejs,

Maybe you caught me at a time when I'm not hungry (the risk of mentioning specific food) but the thought of eating big slabs of meat and cheese fries just really repels me. Especially the cheese fries. That's something a boyfriend in grammar school would eat. Now every time I think of you, I will think of cheese fries. I'm sorry, but this is a big problem.

I think I said "taco truck". They have them all night long in LA. They are amazingly good. I really miss them. That's the only thing about LA that I miss.
Oh well. We can meet if you want but I don't feel like thrilling anyone or being magical or talking about my job and trying to connect it with my magic, cause I do not like my job.

Nathalie

ANDREJS wrote:

Hello, Now when I think of you, I'll think about the person that made fun of me for eating cheese fries. What would you like to do? Ride up and down the escalator. I can bring a book, we can skim through it. How about soccer? We can kick the ball around in front of the church, I don't think they'll mind. Are you any good at soccer? Do you like soccer? I think us Europeans are allowed to ask that? What were you doing with a boyfriend in grammar school? Maybe its not the cheese fries but this boyfriend in grammar school you have a problem with. Yeah, I'm not into big slabs of meat either. Quite frankly, I think that kind of excessiveness is inappropriate. They do offer a vegetarian plate though and they've got great cheeses there as well. Oh shit, cheese, no cheese. These days women have so many needs and wants, hangups etc.... It's probably why I don't go out on dates. I'm only interested in meeting you cause you don't seem like the typical American girl. But now this whole L.A. I don't like my job cheese fry thing has got ME all stressed out. Who the heck spends eight hours of their day working, doing something they don't like. Amazing. What is that? I know people have expenses and responsibilities, but where is the living part, the fun part. Religious or not, God (or for non-religious people "energy" or just "love") commands us to live like children. Kind, gentle, unassuming, cheese fries. I like to have fun and keep it simple. Cheese fries is fun and simple. I thought the Brazilian restaurant would be fun. Sorry. You should have told me you were from L.A., then I could have made a bunch of preconceptions about you. Can you send me a pic, I'd like to see if you look as nutty as you're coming across. Andrejs

GreenClosetStudio

NATHALIE wrote:

Well Andrejs,

You have made me laugh. You're quite the funny one.

Firstly, I'm not from LA. I hate LA. I love Chicago. I was born in Lincoln Park, when it was still a normal neighborhood. I went to undergrad and part of grad school (ucla) there, just for the schools. I dropped out of grad school to do a big show (costume design) and had no desire to return. Then my life took some strange turns and I had a baby. I preferred to keep the baby and stayed in Honduras, with the father. Then when my son was 22 months, I returned to Chicago. My son was born in Honduras, and I've been through experiences you can't even imagine.

I'm not pleased with my job, but I accepted for practical reasons, which you will understand if you get to know me. I agree, 8 hours doing something I don't love is not a good idea. Hey, you are depressing me. Stop it.

I saw that restaurant on TV and thought it looked interesting. That was a very nice idea, kind of grandiose for a first date if that's what you were suggesting, but if you want to go there and desire a date, I might oblige. I might oblige if we get along. Which, frankly, is hard to tell because the whole "1st meeting" seems really stressful for guys. Even when I'm not behaving badly and critiscizing cheese fries, (since when do Europeans eat cheese fries. I can't bend my brain around it,) it just seems sad that a guy has to hurry up and prove how witty and wonderful he is in half an hour, which is my meeting length of preference. Though I've only had 2 so far, neither successful. And I don't like my life being dissected either. It's totally possible to have a conversation without doing that.

You were ready to go on a date witrh me to a fancy restaurant without even seeing my picture? You must have really dug my profile(s). Here's my picture.

Anyway, I am sorry if I traumatized you. I don't know why I was having behavioral issues.

We could meet next week between 4-5 at the church. Riding an escalator sounds great to me.

Nathalie

NATHALIE wrote:

So, are you going to write me back? or do you think too poorly of me. Now I like you. Forgive me. Lets meet.

ANDREJS wrote:

you make me laugh. that's good. now, you like me, you don't even know me. birds are so silly aren't they? because of you, i've decided i don't date anymore. the whole half hour, not here to impress, don't take me to a nice restaurant thing really clarified things for me. you, nor i, want to impress nor be impressed, dating is an odd thing, so let's just skip it. we can hangout as friends and do something fun together. if i accidently lift your skirt up and you fall in love with me, so be it. but, i'm taking the fifty buck a head thing off the table. like i said, my schedule is flexible, so you just tell me what time you'd like to ride that escalator. Andrejs

NATHALIE wrote:

Hi Andrejs. Alright, you know i'm sorry for having traumatized you. We can go out for cheese fries if you want. Though now you may not enjoy them. How about meeting next Tues? I promise you it will be fun if I have any influence over the event. (I know, now you do not trust me.) I do like you, based on how funny you are. It's this zany kind of funny that's not American. Anyway, I looked at your website a little more in depth and I'd liuke a tour of your studio some day, if I may be so lucky after my poor behavior. So, Tuesday? Nathalie

ANDREJS wrote:

sure, next tuesday.

GreenClosetStudio

ANDREJS wrote and sent attached pic of him in a feild of weeds shirtless under a black blazer:

here's your pic. i regret to inform you that i will not be able to record onsaturday. i'm going to a wedding tonight and staying out in the burbs. thenmy friend from madison who'se moving back to hawaii is coming into town forthe day before he catches a plane. sorry, i really want to do it. Andy

NATHALIE wrote:

huh?

ANDREJS wrote:

i tried to send you a pic, maybe it didn't come through. my bandmate jpg'd me it. i don't know how these computers work. GreenClosetStudio

NATHALIE wrote:

Yes, I did get the photo.

I ran into Mikie Kipus yesterday. He and I were born on the same day, and went to school together for years. I told him that I had thought of him cause I met a Lithuanian person, of course he wanted to know who and I just told him you, though I DID NOT tell him we met on Craig's List. (I do not want all of my past school mates looking at my adds, so if you talk to him, please make something up.) I just said I barely met you.

He said he grew up with you and had an odd look on his face that I couldn't decipher.

Anyway, technically, "we met on a train."

See you Tuesday, where?

Nathalie

(Little note - when I mentioned this guy Andrejs's name to Mikie, he got this very concerned look on his face but all he said was, "Yeah. He's in a band." I hadn't seen Mikie since we were in 8th grade so I think he was just trying to put all of these puzzle pieces together and they didn't fit.)

ANDREJS wrote:

Mikie is a good guy. What are you trying to decipher? If you try to decipher my looks, I think you'll be crazier than you are now. "We met on a train", I like that. Those are good words for a song, don't mind it if i use it do you. Yeah, don't worry, that's what I tell everyone about anyone, we met on a train. It's better than saying, I picked up a drunk slut at a bar. Where are we going to meet? Shit, this is a tough one, anything I say will bear some strange decipheredness. Ok, how bout the last row, left side (as you walk in) of the Holy Name Church. I'll just be sitting there reading my Sufi poetry. I wonder if that's allowed in there. What time. How about twelve?

Andrejs
312-653-7854

ANDREJS wrote again:

Hi, Are we set for tomorrow? Is twelve ok for you? How long is this interview going to last, I need to prepare a list of things I want to cover? Looking forward to meeting you. Andrejs 312-653-7854

NATHALIE could not meet at that time, and truly was getting cold feet after the (rather misogenist) drunk slut in a bar comment. But she was having trouble backing out, due to her impervious sense of inappropriate inquistivness. Somehow, they wound up waiting in a too-long line outside The Songo Room for brunch together on a grey day, nobley battling down the invisible wall that separated the them. It was a situation of Chemistry Ground Zero. Within the first 5 minutes, they knew they weren't going to see each other again. The conversation was motivated by Andrejs trying to start debates and Nathalie wriggling free.

When finally seated, Andrejs looked around the room with an air of mistrust, as if the enemy were about to pounce on him (though it's his favorite restaurant.) My every attempt at pleasantry took a nose dive as it bounced off of his woman-proof countenance; if I hadn't rapidly cultivated a complete detachment, he would have ruined my Saturday morning. Luckily, I had gone into it with imparticular expectations, which provided a certain psychological leverage that's (I'm discovering) key to this kind of thing. Rule # 5051: No Expectations!

Was this the same person who said that we must live like children, with innocence? He was so rigid, so blank, so...miserable. He told me that he's bored in the city. I told him that I find bored people boring. How can you be bored when there is so much to do? People, places, movies, books, festivals, dance classes, dining....Maybe lonley is the right word.

To him, the world is a terrible place. Any thinking person knows this is true, but if we're going to be alive we usually try to grow out of it - accept it, and try to make some lemonade while you still have the time.

I don't know exactly why, but I wrote him this:

NATHALIE wrote:

Andrejs,

I just wanted to thank you for inviting me to breakfast.

Nathalie

ANDREJS wrote:

it was nice meeting you, i had fun conversing with you, however i don't think we have any connection on other levels. take care

Andrejs

GreenClosetStudio

I couldn't help it...I had wanted the last word. I guess now that I have my little blog, I can have it: I didn't like you either.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home